Monday, June 17, 2013

Perfect Post-work ski

Shadow-shot for the ski.
     So as I was staring out at the Chugach Front Range the past two days while working, I was eyeing the Ptarmigan S-Couloir.  I had been running/biking/hiking in the amazing weather and wanted to do my first summer "cooler ski" and given the high temps I knew my time was running out.  Right now we are nearing the summer solstice which allows for dangerously long days if you lose track of time but amazing potential for evening activities.  Therefore after work I got my junk together for an evening solo ski.
     I scoped the Powerline trail a few days ago: bike-able to the base with a few snow patches for sure.  Leaving Glen Alps trailhead at about 2030, my strategy was to bike out to the base of it, boot up, ski down with the sunset on the horizon lighting up the run in alpenglow.  Weather was unseasonably warm, sunny, clear, with a mild breeze on the ascent.  It was shaping up to be perfect.  The slews of tourists were fixed on summiting Flat-top, leaving the rest of the area peacefully quiet on a Sunday evening.
     A short bike and I began to climb.  The breeze alternated between a warm summer one and one that was snow-cooled.  I climbed in the shade, frequently watching the prolonged sunset coat the valley below.  The snow up was soft and almost ankle deep, the mildest of sun crusts here and there.  The last time I did this the lighting was flat, snow was variable, and I skinned all the way out.  Today was much better.
     The top provided amazing views of countless mountains with pinkish white patches running down the sides.  I was still scoping lines for next season.  There were still mosquitos at the top despite the breeze.  My changeover was quick since I had no layers to don.  Shorts, T-shirt, that was all I was wearing while backcountry skiing at 2230 in perfect lighting in the middle of June.  Only in Alaska.

     The run down was perfect.  An easy mountain bike out with an amazing sunset behind the Talkeetnas and the mountain I had just spent 2.5 weeks on.  MMMMM.

View from the bottom. 
View from the top.  Roughly 40degrees and ~2000ft.






Denali on the right horizon.


No comments:

Post a Comment