Wednesday, July 3, 2013

venturing into world of mountain biking

     So I have been trying to improve my skills in the realm of mountain biking which at this point is just by doing it more.  I have already learned the appreciation for the backside cushion that a full-suspension might offer after the Johnson pass ride.  This week I did my first mountain bike race at the Kinkaid XC race series.  Then Sarah and I did some riding on the single-track side today.
     The race was fun, 2 laps around the course that combined the ski trails with some single-track.  I had no idea what to expect so I hung back at the start.  The start was good but people quickly bunched at the turn that narrowed into single-track.  Also, there was bunching mid-hill early on as some slipped or lost momentum.  I did this a few times and I don't know if it's normal or if people get pissed or if I should hike and re-saddle or let them pass.  I figure it's a race so I will just do my own think....next time.  This time I let all pass until a gap showed up, no worries because I am learning. 
     I again had bike trouble.  This time my chain would drop too far in on the front and come off, wedge between the crank arm and around the bottom bracket.  Probably happened 5+ times, cost me mental stress(mosquitos), at least several minutes of stopping and the loss of momentum.  Although the grinding chain on my frame did help me lighten it by a few milligrams?  Anyway, roots continue to be a challenge as well as sharp down-hill turns, balance, and line-picking.  Overall it was fun and I will try to do another if I can practice more. 
     Sarah and I headed out to Bowling Alley on the single-track side today with great weather similar to last night: cloudy, cool and a slight breeze.  No moose, no bears.  I tested out some quicker time-lapse following her with the gopro and tested my home-made bike mount.  See videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment