Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Season opener

     So work is finally easing up, back to 3 days a week, and just in time because Hatcher Pass has just enough snow to start playing in.  They got 18+ inches about 1.5 weeks ago and most of it has stuck around.  They groomed some XC trails which are ski-able and as I found out today, so are pockets for AT skiing. 
     Finally my day off aligns with weather that isn't raining or windy.  Lucy and I headed out to Hatcher Pass with the goal of getting some time on the XC skis and exercise.  I needed to do something other than hiking or biking.  The snow up in the front range is too thin to enjoy: it's just slick and covers up the ankle-twisting holes and most of the ground isn't frozen yet.  Hatcher Pass it is.  The drive is normally a deal-breaker for me but not this time.  The views of the mountains around Palmer were majestic.  A new(to me) route via Trunk Rd makes the commute a bit quicker.
     The snowline starts just below the main parking lot.  Skiing is do-able from the gate.  There was a film crew working up there with "kikkanimal", as seen on the side of the Subaru.  I don't know what they were shooting but they were taking up the easy loop route forcing me to work the uphill.  The trails were packed, not too-recently groomed, but good enough to show me that I am out of shape.  Not just the "I haven't skied since last winter" kind but the serious sad kind. 
     I did a lap or two and called it good.  I had also brought my AT setup with the intent of skinning up the road to the pass just to get some good pre-season callouses building and get my legs use to the extra weight on them.  The slope is just enough for an easy decent, it would be a good winter hike at the worst.  But, lo, as I neared the pass I noticed a skin track ascending to my left! The snow looked deep enough and there were no obvious rock gardens.  I would go for it, after all my original goal was just a road-ride down, so this would be a bonus. 
     I skinned up to the Hatch Peak on ~6" of powder supported by crust with occasional firm-and-crusty patches near wind-blown ridgelines.  Just as I approached the summit ridge, the sun popped out.  Perfect!  An unexpected break in the clouds AND an unexpected AT session.  The view from the top was great.  I don't frequent Hatcher so the terrain looks new and views of the Chugach were National Geographic.  I managed to link together two decent shots back down to the road and cruised back to the car.  Looking at the Hatcher avy topo I think it was April Bowl and $1000 Run.

     

1 comment: