Thursday, January 9, 2014

Indian investigation

     So I wanted to explore some less popular terrain, specifically the western slopes of bird ridge or south-east slopes of avalanche. Given the shorter days I planned an overnighter to allow for more time and options. After a night shift and a short nap, Lucy and I headed to the TH and took the Indian Pass trail.
     Conditions were skin-able, crusty and thin down low with slightly more snow as I gained elevation. It appeared someone had already made the traverse to/from arctic. I was looking for access to the western bird ridge slopes without going up the traditional bird ridge route. No-go for now, too many alders and insufficient snow.
     Not to be discouraged I whipped out backup plan #1 and continued up toward the pass to have a look at the Avalanche slopes. They seemed thin but I picked out a possible line as night was approaching and set up camp nearby. The solitude was nice, it was calm with a thin layer of clouds have he moon a hazy look but there was enough light to cast faint shadows. I busted out my new stove and made a light dinner and filled my water bottles. To bed I went....6pm, but I was running on 4 hrs. 
     The next morning I ate a small breakfast and packed up, skinned to the base and headed up. After about 500ft I ran into hard avy debris. With alders boxing me into the slide path, whoompfing, and the slope angle increasing I turned it. The ski down was pleasant.  
     On to backup plan #2....I would investigate a route up to power line pass and check out other Avalance aspects, but after spotting for awhile I could see no route through the alders.  I decided to call it and head out. I didn't see the need to force it or investigate more until more snow would allow.
     The ski out was relatively smooth as a dusting of snow eased the harsh crusty-ness and lubricated the skins for a good slide down. 

Things I forgot that would have been nice:
Spare pair if dry socks
Pee bag
Thermos

While sitting in a parking lot I watched a raven bury some food item for later. I continue to find these birds more and more interesting, I assumed they were the eat-it-now type.  Another thing I love about them is their congregating near the peaks.  I often witness unique flying behavior such as flips an spirals here.  One place to witness this is mentioned in Alaska Jack's blog.

 
Happy Birthday to me.
 


Looking up past the alders and low clouds to Avalanche peak.  I would have loved to be up there.


the elusive lucy


Driving along The Arm never fails with stunning views.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Andy those are some pretty incredible views! Keep on living the dream :) Happy Belated Birthday

    ReplyDelete