Thursday, March 20, 2014

I'm loving to ski!

     So I heard Turnagain was good and I trusted the forecasters in their prediction of sunshine. It paid off. Daylight is no longer a limiting factor, now it is energy and in a few weeks it will be snow.  My ski peeps were all working or out of town.  Solo it would be.
     I headed down with the goal of checking out something beyond the first clean slopes. I went up the valley with sunburst on my left and popped over that saddle. Pastoral was the goal.  The terrain was pleasantly untracked relative to stuff I had passed: wide open, sun-bathed, snow-blanketed rolling slopes had my eyes wide and my anticipation growing.  It was a great skin as well, knowing it would be almost all downhill to the car, all he work was done up front.  I had even picked out my line in the sunburst bowl.  Despite the heat I was lovin' the sunshine.
     I knew I would not be skiing from the summit with an ideal line, more likely a ridge to low-angle stuff, but a summit view on a clear day like this would be food for the soul.  The top was rimey and icy but boot-able, I would have preferred my whippet but spaced on that.  After seeing all I could see(the summit afforded me my best views of the area yet) I skied a few mellow lines back in the area and then skied my sunburst run to the car. The dogs were tired and so were my legs, but not too tired to return tomorrow............


view of pastoral and the approach


pretty much skied the shadow-line in that lower bowl. 

summit view

Lucy triggered and rode this one. 



before
After




2 comments:

  1. For realz? Did Lucy really trigger it? At least Zara had eyes on her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea, I did the right half and Lucy was coming along slow-poke style and I knew the slope was sensitive but there was no stopping her from straight-lining it. Both of us were watching her. Zara was right behind me on my track so she was fine, speedy.

    ReplyDelete