Friday, May 16, 2014

Up a (falls)creek, no paddles needed

     This stretch of warm-and-sunny has ushered in summertime conditions with haste.  I wanted to get out today and was originally planning on Bird Ridge as I heard it was clear, but I was impatient while driving along the arm and only made it to Falls Creek before impulsively deciding to go up there instead.  The trail was pretty much dry and clear to the valley where only a few soggy spots remained.  There were also a few snow patches to cross on the way up to South Suicide, but overall easy travelling: I could do it in my minimal running shoes and stay dry with a slight attention to foot placement.
     So the plan was to try and make it to the clearing of alders at the base of the valley, but after seeing the lack of snow up to South Suicide I elected to attempt it.  Physically I wasn't ready but I need to get in running/hiking/climbing shape for the summer and might as well have started today.  It went smoother than I planned although I will likely be more sore than I prefer tomorrow.  I also concluded that skiing is officially done: it looked pretty rotten and too narrow even on the shadier routes, at least for me.
     There were the typical goats hanging out up there, but I didn't see any other major wildlife.  The wildflowers are early blooming, the bees were busy, but the greenery has a long way to go.  The creek itself seemed to be quite full and gushing.  This was puzzling to me after a no-go for packrafting due to low water on South Fork 2 days previous.  Views from the top were great and it was evident that the snow was retreating fast all over the Chugach.

The view from South Suicide of the back of North Suicide. I assume that snowy lines like the one pictured running 11 to 5 are ski-able.  Has this one ever been tried?  Too far out? Terrain trap?


I love to views up the Arm.


Note the amazing blue/green of the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment