Wednesday, December 17, 2014

manitoba delivers

     So no change on snow conditions up here, however, I did manage to put a favorable tally for skiing on the board.  Hatcher is still too thin for my comfort level.  Alyeska is too pricey.  People ski in the Front Range?  Turnagain is still hike-to and with the recent loading of wet-and-heavy with wind, I didn't feel like climbing up to a mysterious snow pack just yet.  Solo means low-angle and Manitoba delivered as much as it could today.

     I could skin on ice from the car: acceptable.  Evidence that new snow did indeed fall was seen a few minutes beyond the hut and the sound of skinning on ice was dampened.  From the traditional cut-up points I felt better as I knew I could ski back down to the ATV trail without too much discomfort, and maybe even to the hut

     The conditions improved as I ascended: from a fresh 1" at the base of the meadows to 4" by the treeline and plenty to make me smile above the treeline.  Not to mention the sun was shining: no rain, no wet snow, just a good genuine winter day.  It's always weird coming down from good sun and snow and skiing up high, back down into clouds and dim light, wet roads and bare ground.  Today, up high was the place to be.




No comments:

Post a Comment