Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Denali Prep, final thoughts before the climb

     So today is my last packing and prep day before working tomorrow and then off to Talkeetna, the fly-out location begin climbing Denali.  We are allotting 21 days total, planning to ski as much as possible.  We are going un-guided, a team of 4 ski-buddies.  I think we have an excellent group dynamic.  I am incredibly stoked for this trip, to say the least, it's a bucket-list item.
     I am finding this trip is similar to my training for my ironman.  Lots of preparation, practice, planning, experimenting, personalizing gear and methods, all of which leaves you at the start line with a chill peace knowing you are ready and the work has been put in.  From here it is all game time, the pinnacle of my flow-state will begin when we arrive to the glacier and step off the plane and also when summiting.
     I feel I am not over-confident, my expectations are realistic and I know my respect for nature and the mountains will be enhanced with this trip.  I hope to learn a lot.  There is quite a bit of published information and anecdotes about the climb but I find everyone has advice of what worked for them and there are many things that have worked.  Here a few random thoughts as my mind is still in a packing-frenzy:
My first priority is safety. 
Second: a good time. 
Third: summiting.
My greatest fear is a fall/slide. 
My greatest challenge will be the heavy load.
My food weighs ~46lbs, maybe a few more after adding last minute stuff.  I won't weigh my gear, it's too intimidating.
Lucy can't come with on this one.
3 weeks without my better half will be tough: no communication, the most since we got married.
The expected highlight of the trip will be summiting in good weather.
     I'll be missing out on early running/biking season and a few fun races for each, but it will be worth it and I can do that stuff anytime.  There will likely be a lengthy post or several posts about the trip when I get back.  I hope to take many photos.  I also hope to execute my game-plan without to much selective deviation, mostly regarding hydration, pace and layering/gear use. 
Wish me luck.


Denali from Talkeetna. 


My 21 days of food.
50lbs



2 comments:

  1. We'll be praying for your safety and that this will be a wonderful experience.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Andy! I think your priorities and your head is right. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete