Sunday, March 16, 2014

the stuff dreams are made of

 
     So a break from work finally aligned with snow falling throughout the region.  Day 1 I headed to Turnagain Pass.  After trying it a few days earlier and finding heavy, wet snow and avy conditions too uncomfortable for slopes steep enough for speed I was skeptical about outcomes.   We passed the Tincan lot and continued to Fresno.  The lower slopes have a relatively safe angle and with alders still poking through they made for good visibility.  It was also a few degrees cooler yielding consistent snow that was more dry than wet.  Ascending immediately from the road is a perk of this slope.  The snow was still on the moist side but not wet.  It was drier as we ascended and we were pleasantly rewarded with fun conditions for a few laps. Skepticism denied. Fresno is now on my radar.



 
      Day 2 was the morning after a spring dumping for Anchorage.  27" on the south Atown hillside is what I heard. I love it when the forecasters become hindcasters in the favor of lots of snow.  First it was 2-5", then when it reached 6" it was 6-10" and finally 6-11". They must have given up then because I saw no changes after that and we got consistently more all over.  Needless to say, my thirst for Front Range Deep had grown so strong I did the unconventional attempt of a pre-dawn start, which would have worked if I didn't get stuck behind 4 snowplows.  Either way, Canyon Road had been plowed and I made to the TH stoked for first tracks.
     Stoke was quickly muted by the work of trailbreaking in 27": too deep to get my tips up and out of which means I was lifting snow on top of my skis.  I made it a few meters shy of the Peak 3 cliff band, too tired to finish it off and too eager just to get some downhill powder in.  I figured whoever showed up next could top it out, and two insanely fluffly laps later some Anchorage Avalanche Center folks did just that.  
     The rest is history.  The snow was deep and blower, the sky cleared and the wind was calm.  I went until I couldn't do it justice, and it was so worth it.  I now know why people have spray skirts and skis wider than 115mm.  It was great seeing all the people out and having enough powder to go around.  Peak 3 was tracked by the end of the day with nice, distinguished, sexy lines. 
     A short visit to Peak 2 later in the day also revealed a member of Team Corndog getting fabulous first tracks, even as late as 2pm......only in Alaska.
    
the classic peak 3 view, never gets old

yeah, it was that deep.  Don't worry, no skin tracks were damaged in the taking of this photo or the riding of this slope other than my dog taking a leak on it.
 

      Day 3: Despite my legs being good for nothing, my cold at it's 2nd day of havoc to my body, my left forearm developing a knot from sliding my pole through the snow rather than over I managed to get a "one-and-done" on Peak 4.  The winds had increased a little up high and an additional 3-4" fell.  Not enough to register on the avy radar, but noticeable.  The sun was trying to burn the clouds off but by mid-day had lost the battle.  I traversed from Peak 3 back to Peak 4 and skied the 'tweeners down and out.  It was a peaceful, zen-like outing and a great way to start the day.  The sun produced a encompassing glow, the snow dusted the alders enough to make it feel like winter again, the valley floor was dream-like in its silence and solitude.    
 

No comments:

Post a Comment