Thursday, March 5, 2015

trying to refocus

     In light of the conditions, the resilience of the backcountry snow community is starting to become evident.  Obviously stoke is relatively down, but positive perspectives are still out there and are keeping me going.  
     One that echoes true for me is the voice of former east-coasters and mid-westerners.  The stuff I'm skiing this season is still better than what I skied there.  Another positive is the pics that keep popping up: evidence that someone got the goods.  Every time I go out and the light improves I see lines in places one might assume were too bony or people would have forgotten about this season.  On the flip-side, all this could translate into a longer summer season with the ground drying out faster.  This could mean more rafting/running/biking/hiking/etc, so less of one means more of another.
     I have been trying to do more local stuff because driving to Hatcher is getting a little old but the fresh snow and good conditions there cannot be ignored (more sun, ski to car, good vert, good variety).  The front range has also been skiing well, perhaps after this next dose of snow it will be even better, local is always good for Andy and good for Alaska. 


SHADOW-SHOT!  Oh man, it's been awhile since I posted one of these.  What better place than the front range.  I still prefer the sun of the south face to the shadow of the north.

A little farther back, this dependably filled, low-angle, sunny run had remained untouched for 4 days after a light Anchorage-hills dusting.  Somebody had to do it.


This is my favorite view in Hatcher Pass so far, It is from Friendship Pass looking back toward the valley.  The panorama of surrounding rugged peaks is great, but this slice is my top pick.


I call this one, "Should have eaten breakfast".  We hadn't even done a run yet.  She had such a hard time with the snowballs on her body, I think it's time for a mercy-haircut.  It is warming up anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment