Tuesday, January 20, 2015

it's good to be back

     After a trip to AZ sandwiched by work days it had been awhile since I had been out in AK.  I put skiing out of my mind while down south with the expectation that it would be different when I got back from how I left it: a one-and-done lap up Gordon Lyon in light rain on sticky/heavy/wet stuff.  I couldn't have asked for much more than my first two days back on the sticks.
     Day one wifey and I had what I would call our most successful ski day yet.  We did a pleasant tour up to Friendship Pass out at Hatcher.  Perfect weather, good enough snow, the solitude of a weekday, and the ever dramatic ruggedness of the Talkeetnas during a low-snow year.  Primo.  I noticed something I had not previously seen: how sparkly the snow was.  From the pass I could see single sparkles reflecting the sun all the way down at the prospect cabin below.  They were like bright stars in broad daylight.  I thought it was incredible.


      Day two was back at Hatchers for more perfect weather, better snow, and vistas.  This time with the dude-crew and mutts.  We flipped a coin to decide our course.  I saw Marmot the previous day and it looked worse than Arctic Valley on an open-weekend Sunday afternoon.  It was safe to assume everything within 1 mile of a road or TH would be tracked and that is not why I backcountry ski.  The coin told us to go farther, so we did, and it paid off.  We found several runs of the most respectable snow around and even managed a ski to the car.  Can't beat good ski days.







No comments:

Post a Comment