Monday, January 5, 2015

monday.....not back at the office

     So working a weekend leaves me in a unique place when it comes to backcountry skiing, especially after a perfect-weather weekend like this last one.  I knew the weekend warriors would have their way at Hatcher and I would have to get farther from the road to get fresh tracks.  This presented an excellent opportunity to try something new and have a look around.
     The great weather window continued today so I decided to base out of the Mint TH, something I've never done aside from the Bomber Traverse but had been eyeing this season for some reason.  There was one drainage I was scoping in particular for a solo-style day, the one just before the Lonesome mine.  Somehow I found myself up and driving before dawn, which is not all that impressive up here but for me it was a goal I regularly pass up for more sleep.



     The sunrises up here during the drive on a ski day are incredible, pics don't do justice, I'll leave it at that.  The tone was set for a good day.   The weekend warriors placed skin tracks for me, but being a Monday I enjoyed the solitude without having to break trail too much.  I headed up the previously mentioned drainage and poked around a few runs and soaked in the views.  I was impressed with how people really got out there this weekend.  It was nice just to be out. I was also impressed with the options for runs in this one drainage and it got me thinking about the drainages on either side.  The Talkeetnas continue to blow me away with their rugged and rockiness.



     The Little Susitna had hoar pockets galore and the water was crystal clear.  Ptarmigan tracks were abundant.  The low-angle winter sun provided amazing colors on the mountainsides and though my runs were mostly shaded the high-points were in the sun and provided excellent views.  Why don't I come here more?

Poor Lucy works so hard in the current conditions, I think she missed the "Dog travel in snow: 101" class, but she still loves it.




No comments:

Post a Comment