Monday, December 24, 2012

Hatcher pass, it's a first.


     So I have never been skiing in hatche pass and therefore, despite the widespread lack of snow, I decided to fuel my addiction to skiing a little more.  Some buddies of mine were headed to hatcher pass and though the in-laws were in town I was able to get out, soul food.  Weather: clear, calm and bitterly cold as it has been for several weeks now: overall it was comfortable because I was prepared for the cold and had my layering system down.  I also added some new gear which definately helped: some Outdoor Research shell mittens and the Centrifuge jacket which is, I have found, the perfect skinning jacket for me.
     We got there at sunrise and skinned up lookers' right shoulder of Marmot, not all the way to the summit with the flag but the flat ridge a ways below it.  Conditions were as I had expected given the lack of snow: tracked, mildly windblown crust/slab in some areas.  We managed to find a few good pockets by our 2nd and 3rd runs.  What was the best is we were skiing and skinning in the sun all day, perfect given the short days this time of year and it eased the bite of the cold.
     Shwas a great way to spend the day and I think I would like to check it out when they get more snow.  The terrain doesn't seem as big as turngagain pass but it looks like a good variety and alternative.  I noticed that a lot of terrain is much closer to the road which means a shorter skin in and more energy/quicker turnover and lapping.  I will return I think but Turnagain is supposedly getting snow as I write this so my next day off I'll be heading there. 
     Merry Christmas and good turns to all.
    



No comments:

Post a Comment