Friday, January 11, 2013

Well.............

     So the Chugach front range has squat for snow.  Even the gullies haven't filled in yet.  Things are blown and scoured.  There is hardly enough for cross country skiing here in town.  Turnagain is great low-angle from what I hear but the natural and human-triggered avalanches have left me hesitant to head out there.  Though I recently decided to go, it's too late: ski buddies are working and a pineapple express is on the way to add to the cruddy conditions in Anchorage and compound the turnagain snowpack issue.  THIS IS A PROBLEM.  Although Alyeska finally opened chair 6 (minus tram due to high-wind collision with a tower) I moved up here for the skiing and became addicted to backcountry skiing.  Last winter was my first and I guess I got spoiled but this winter, I'm hurting. 
     After moping about last night and swimming in denial I finally gave up and decided to go hiking today.  I have to get into the mountains, simple as that.  It's good for the soul.  I rounded up the dogs and planned to climb the ramp (of course with the hope of finding that lone front range line that is skiable). 
     Weather was not the greatest.  Overcast skies with steady winds, frequent gusts and snow made for a genuine mountain experience.  I couldn't find clear eye protection and went without so my eyeballs were getting pelted with snow.  Of course the skies  temporarily parted, wind died and flat light was gone only after I had headed down to the valley floor from the summit.  Either way it felt good to get out.  I found no lines long enough to justify the 6.5 mile skin.  I haven't reached that level of desperation but it is close.

sorry no pics, it won't let me upload today.

No comments:

Post a Comment