Wednesday, February 5, 2014

A visit to the far side


 So sorry about the poor formatting it's beyond my control and skills.  Anyway, Hardcore and I headed out to Hatcher Pass in hopes of skiing some respectable conditions which, to our surprise, were plentiful and totally worthwhile. 
     A cooler-than-recent sunrise start with clear skies and calm weather started the day with promise which thankfully was fulfilled.  We skied a number of great snow(given the situation) runs out in Hatcher Pass' Farside area, including one run down lookers' right near the Pinnacle in soft spring-like snow.
     The day was like a much-needed vacation: relief from the snow-drought of the rest of the area.  I had never seen the views of these mountains that today offered, but I was unsuspecting of their vastness and was reminded again of how rugged and rural things are up here in AK.  You either know what I am talking about or have to come visit.
     We spent a fair amount of time at the top admiring the views, soaking up the warm sun, eating and snapping many photos that will never do it justice.  A revisit is anticipated later this week.  I thought to myself today, "I am living the dream". 



heading up our first run off one of "the farside" couloirs
a lone skinner provides scale near  "the pinnacle" which was our concluding run



when one tops a ridge to views like this, the mind is blown, addiction ensues.

 



Hardcore skis the best around from chugach ress on Vimeo.




note the chest-mane, its fluffy






No comments:

Post a Comment