Thursday, November 22, 2012

Maybe hunting is not for me?

     So I waited in line at Alaska Dept. of Fish and Game to get my permit to hunt a bull in the Ship Creek drainage this fall.  I spent the night there, comfortably in my bivy, because I heard they only issue x permits and they run out.  Come door opening time there were way fewer people than permits.  Oh well. 
     Got the permit and headed out Friday of the opening weekend with some ski buddies.  So did everyone else.  We went from S. Fork Eagle River trialhead to the second pass back.  When we got to a good vantage point we could see about 6 groups of hunters scattered below us.  No bulls.  All cows.  If there was a bull, it would have 15 pairs of binos looking at it no doubt and everyone would be on it.  Ridiculous.
     We went out several other times as the season progressed and encountered fewer hunters.  We hunted the same areas, saw no bulls whatsoever but plenty of cows.  It may have been the late and sparse snow coverage or maybe it is just me.  The original plan was to wait until later in the season and ski in there to hunt and sled/pulk it out, hoping our backcountry travel skills would work to our advantage.  No snow = a no go. 

The season came and went.  No luck, but being in the chugach was great and worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment