Sunday, November 25, 2012

Redeeming Eddies

     So today a buddy of mine and I headed to the only place with snow.  But the snow that is there is pleasant enough to make the trip for.  We went to Eddies as he had not been there and I was looking to redeem it from my last, rather unsuccessful trip. 
     We got an average start but were the first at the parking lot: surprising given that it was a beautifully clear/calm weekend day and the only place around with snow.  Surely more ski fanatics would be out.  I had not been up high on Eddies and my buddy had never been.  After skinning up lookers' right ridge a ways we noticed a skin track crossing and heading up the left ridge to the top.  We decided to go for it.  Up to that point snow conditions had shown no whoompfing/shooting cracks but the second we started traversing there was significant whoompfing and occasional shooting cracks.  We kept the terrain green and skinned to just above the west facing steeper slope.  So far consistent with the CNFAIC findings.
     After fueling up we skied on down.  We mostly skied on the top right-side-up layer of snow and didn't notice the weaker layers beneath until we got further down the mountain.  It was without incident but that whoompfing sound always makes my heart skip a beat, especially when it sinks down a few inches with me on it.
     Skies were clear, no wind, great views, swishy snow sounds, soft turns. Man, I love skiing.  Simple as that.  What a great way to spend the day. 



     We had the option to traverse back to Eddies south ridge to ski out but got greedy and continued down the middle further than we should have.  That lent itself to the classic session of chugach-alder-bashing.  After much sweating, under-the-breath foul language, and flailing about in snow covered alders we made it to the skin track and back down to the car without issue.  I didn't leave my boots at the TH this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment