Thursday, November 29, 2012

Seattle Ridge looks good.

     So today I wanted to ski again and I headed down to turnagain.  After hitting up Eddies twice this month I was not up for that trail again.  The alders were pretty thick leading up to pyramid; Tincan and Sunburst were tracked out.  I wanted to do the lookers right shoulder leading up to Wolverine but the access looked like a miserable bushwhack.  If anyone knows a route please tell me. 
     I started looking at the snowmachiners' side and noticed some tracks which gave me an idea.  This was appealing as there are no snowmachiners yet AND if I skied it I would have the pleasure of being in the sun all day: something to revel in this time of year.  So I parked at the construction access site to situate myself below the clearest way up.  There are still quite a few alder stands that need to be buried but there was a solid skin track already in place, easier on the Lucy as the deeper snow wears her out quick and I am too impatient to wait.
     Followed that up to Seattle Ridge.  I had never been so I took the opportunity to explore a few of the drop-in points to the drainage west of the ridge.  I was skeptical but it looks like there are some good runs in there once more snow comes.  I don't know what the snowmachiners will do to it though.  Maybe I could hitch a ride back up with one.  I feel like there could be a be an unspoken mutual avoidance between snowmachiners and those who earn their turns.
     I went south along the ridge to a high point and got some fresh tracks for awhile before options funneled me through the alders.  What a pleasantly sunny and clear day to be out.  However, I hit the creek bottom there and the cold hit me hard.  My face was bitter cold and the hoar frost grew like weeds.  It was frigid but peaceful.  I stayed warm enough to enjoy the short jaunt out.


     On the way home I was going to stop in Girdwood because I heard the skate skiing there was good but decided to hurry and make it to potters marsh so I could skate with the sun setting rather than in the shadows of Alyeska.  It was well worth it.  Another great day in Alaska.

No comments:

Post a Comment