Thursday, November 22, 2012

Trail to Eddies

     So I went out to turnagain to ski some low-angle stuff as the avy reports were a bit sketchy for higher up and I was by myself.  Co-skiers said Eddies was skiing well and there was a nice trail through the woods so I thought I would check it out: the need to get out and ski was growing and my jewel glacier outing was not holding me over. 
     Loaded up with some dogs and got a good start.  Turns out there was a fresh 4-5" of fluff to enjoy.  I managed to find the trail and skinned through the woods.  Skies were generally clear but the lower Eddies was socked in.  I toured longer than I preferred but it was easy going and the woods were peaceful and snow covered, so I didn't mind.  The dogs were exercising themselves: bonus.  Mine is well-seasoned in backcountry skiing but the other two were noobs and didn't understand the concept of the single-file skin track.
     I broke off the trail and headed uphill,  the snow was looking great.  I did hear some whoompfing but didn't see/hear anything else.  I lost the skin track and was breaking trail, the dogs were not tolerating that well and I didn't feel like waiting so I stopped and dug a pit.  Snowpack was consistent with the CNFAIC reports.  I found 2 weak layers, one mid-pack the other at the snow-ground interface.  The later layer is where I got most of the action. 

     After eating/lounging I skied back and out to the car, saw who I believe was 'Erik the Viking'? skinning up, interesting story to come.  Packed up headed home.  Later that evening unpacking my car I noticed my boots were missing.  It occured to me I left them behind my jeep and drove off, lonely boots in the Eddies parking lot, panic set in.  My only hope by that time in the evening was that Erik had picked them up when he got back to the TH before anyone else.  The problem was I was guessing that he is who I saw and I had no way of getting a hold of him.  I texted ski-buddy-A who managed to get his info and thank goodness he saw them, picked them up, and chugach Ress lives to ski again this winter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment