Tuesday, March 26, 2013

but of course that's how it is.

     So I have 3 days off work in a row, the front range gets one of those spring snow storms I have been banking on during this year of low snow, this morning I woke up to sunshine.  Sounds like a recipe for great skiing considering my number 1 favorite place to ski is the front range.  Nope. Not for me.  I should almost have expected this to happen.  I had been on the brink of illness during my last 2 days at work and it finally caught up to me, squashing my endurance and resilience, during this time of potentially epic skiing.
     This time of the season my legs are in just about prime shape, my skiing gets me almost everywhere comfortably and the days are longer and more likely to be full of sun.  Now is not the time to be wasting days off work with illness.  So last night I went out for a short storm outing that should have been a cake-walk but it almost killed me.  And I sustained another core shot.  Drugs, food, water and sleep later I woke up to sunshine and had to do something about it.
     I knew some folks heading up peak2 to bask in the fabulousness of the conditions before they had to head in to work, keeping it low-angle post-storm.  I rolled out of bed and threw my ski gear on and headed there late, fortunately they were running a bit behind too.  Sun was out and no one was at the trail head....why the illness now?!?! 
     It was mostly sunny, "misting" snow, calm.  The upper slope appeared to be wind hammered with massive 2-3 foot sastrugi, however, we came to find out those usually rock hard snow formations were soft pillows to play with today.  Bonus.  Speed was a little challenging to come by given the low slope angle but given time limitations and proximity to the end of the storm we played it safe.  We enjoyed the snow anyways and it took just as much out of me as last night, I'm good for nothing the rest of the day.
    So now I am typing this looking out my window at some of the lines I would like to be and would be skiing right now if I felt better.  I'm hoping for more snow events like this, even though April is right around the corner.  Goal: ski more and take advantage of fitness to ski new stuff.

Here's a link to the quick video from today.  You can't tell but it was knee deep.  Could have used a spray-skirt.     https://vimeo.com/62750832
 

1 comment:

  1. https://twitter.com/ak_mountain/status/316727912831270913

    ReplyDelete