Sunday, March 3, 2013

Tour of Anchorage

     So the Tour of Anchorage was today.  This meant no backcountry skiing yesterday to save the legs for today.  I signed up for the 50k freestyle.  AM weather check showed weather was looking good and I waxed for the warm temps they were predicting although it was about 10 degrees cooler at the start.  Up to this point, the farthest I had skied was 25k so I was sort of concerned that I would have to go so much more.  I was internally emphasizing the lack of pressure to perform and that it was just to see how I like XC ski races.  No expectations.
     At the start there was less hype than I expected, it was probably all at the 25k start.  Sarah and Lucy saw me off and we started Spencer Loop which is known for the hills.  It is the first 10-12k of the race and I would dare say the most technical due to curves, ups, downs, and crowds.  I tried to position myself with like-speed people or just a bit slower to control my own speed on the uphills, otherwise I would burn out.  This went well, and before I knew it I was in my "backyard" section of the course: homestead to viewpoint to the chester creek trail system. 
   This section I had skied the most and I knew it well.  I was able to get in my groove here, also, the snow warmed up to the temperature of my waxed and I noticed an obviously improved glide.  I made good time here, passed the lady giving me the stink-eye for skiing right behind her.  She wouldn't make room and I didn't want to burn energy to pass her.  I would have fallen for sure. 
     Once on the chester creek system the race continued to go well.  I got in a good stride, the crowd thinned and the trail widened.  This continued until westchester lagoon where the fatigue started to become apparent but not bad.  I kind of bonked around 40-45k, not from lack of food or water but just being tired physically and mentally.  My mind finally accepted this and I was able to finish the last 5k peacefully and without more than the expected level of struggle. 
     Overall I thought it was fun.  Good weather, good organization, my hydration and fueling worked out, and the technique tips from a buddy paid off for sure.  Now my legs are tired.  Next XC posting will likely be spring crust skiing.


3 comments:

  1. Wow, I didn't realize you were going to do such a long race! How long did it take? Glad you survived :)

    ReplyDelete