Saturday, March 2, 2013

mildest of milds

     So yesterday I was planning to rest, do a little XC skiing in preparation for the Tour of Anchorage, get some around-the-house stuff done and keep it mellow.  Then the invite for a mellow backcountry ski outing to turnagain came through so I figured it wouldn't hurt.  There had been a lot of snow (2-3 feet) during the work-week that needed tracking. To start the morning off right I locked the keys in the car but fortunately already had the other vehicle loaded up.....might as well ski.
     We elected to do Tincan trees to save the legs from vertical and to make up for the poor visibility.  We didn't go any higher than treeline due to the unbroken trail and lack of visibility.  The snow was on the damp side, super deep, calm weather, warm temps.  The snow was so deep we could have used more consistently steep terrain to maintain speed but that would have required clearer skies and more energy than I was willing to sacrifice.  Either way, it was a good time.
     The chugach-lucy was really struggling to make it through between snowballs in her fur, lightly packed skin track, and the super-deep with not enough steep.  I was sick of waiting for her, she was getting exhausted.  I tried to carry her a bit but then I couldn't ski, was working too hard, it was awkward.  I dumped her on the skin track and she figured it out from there.  This deep-snow that doesn't work with her is a lesson I should have learned already but whatever. 
     Then I went back to unlock the car (all the way across town) and realized I forgot the spare keys.  Yup that's life as a Resseguie.  The car is still there with the keys in it if you want to steal it.

Did you all get rick-rolled by that last video link?  did ya?  did ya? sweet dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment