Tuesday, February 26, 2013

first solo to hatchers

     So I heard hatchers was the best bet for sun today and with the front range looking as blown as it did I figured I would head out there.  I wanted sunny skiing, it was today's priority.  I also had a gift certificate to the Wasilla Sportsman's Warehouse that was burning a hole in my pocket. 
     I had only been to hatcher's once and we had gone up marmot.  I drove around looking for something but had no ideas so I just repeated that, only I did a ridgline-skin beyond the weather station a ways just to see what kind of lines were out there.  I gathered some ideas for next time as it was clear, thus affording great views.  I also saw some pretty sweet lines skied around the area.  The Rae-Wallace chutes "the uptrack" mentioned were well-skied out but I could see the fresh-and-deepness of them.  I wasn't interested in shaded runs either.
     Snow was good, nothing deep but enough of the freshness to make is soft and swishy.  There was a mild breeze at the top, mostly sunny skies, upper 20s I'm guessing.  I skied Marmot twice, the second time some snowboarders snowshoed up my skin-track, making it less than smooth.  Didn't they get the etiquette memo?
     I definately have ideas for next time.  Those mountains are amazing as seen by my panoramic shot.  More exposed rock it seems than Turnagain which makes for good pictures.  I feel like it is sunny there more too.  I stocked up on beef jerky and soda at the warehouse.  I couldn't think of anything to buy that I needed so I went impulsive.

just to humor me, check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

No comments:

Post a Comment