Saturday, February 16, 2013

Lower Penguin Ridge

     So a few days ago a buddy of mine and I headed out to Bird with the intention of riding his prowler down the ATV trail to access some skiing a few ridges back.  We found a "no snowmachines" sign and the gate was closed so we elected to go up the much closer penguin ridge.  Weather: snowing but a wet snow, temps hovering at 30, calm, cloudy.  We were starting from sea level and after a short skin and some climbing the snow changed to much friendlier stuff around 800ft.
     In the summer this trail is thick with alders and heavily laden with rocks and ruts so the snowy skin track and bare branches was easier to navigate in my opinion.  Some random local showed up and broke trail for us, thankfully.  We went up to the treeline before stopping for lunch and to ski down as some weather was moving in and made visibility incredibly poor.  Our inability to assess terrain,the flat light, and the snow that was becoming punchy from wind buffing all supported this decision.
     The ski down was fabulous.  Not the deepest or most amazing conditions but still just fun.  We skied a few shorter tree shots then clowned around in the gully the rest of the way down.  Though it isn't the most fun, I still enjoy being able to ski out/down, even if it is a luge down the skin track ducking and dodging alders while trying to preserve the integrity of my face/goggles/body parts.  It keeps me agile.  The hope is to ski Penguin top-to-bottom, approx 3800' run starting with the bowl up top and ending down at the trail.  I'll keep you posted on that one.

     Working on short video from the day, if you follow the link below it has my videos as I am able to edit/upload them: I struggle to learn the  technology, especially when there is skiing to be done, but, at the same time I like to share the experience with those interested.  Still working on getting a better quality picture on there too.
https://vimeo.com/59828161  (KGK upper bowl from the other day)


random Alyeska shot, because yes, I do ski there sometimes:

No comments:

Post a Comment