Friday, February 22, 2013

Peak 3........x3

     So today I woke up to a fresh and fluffy 4-6".  The XC ski trails were likely ungroomed at this point and it seemed like winds up high were minimal so of course I opted for an AT outing.  With no takers I was flying solo and wanted to do something near town, front range of course with short skin in and ideally a ski-out as my legs are gassed from yesterdays long XC ski.  Peak 2 or 3 it would be.
     I noticed plenty of fresh snow and surprisingly few tracks heading up to the TH.  Coincidentally I saw too ski buddies leaving as I was pulling up: they had gone out much earlier than I was willing to wak up on a day off.  Reports from them were good.  Weather: snowing hard/soft, mild winds, cloudy, fair visibility, high 20s.  Forecast was calling for partly cloudy in the afternoon so I was hoping for better lighting. 
     I skinned past their recommended Peak 2 and went for Peak 3.  One guy had single-lapped it so it was looking PRISTINE for riding.  I skinned up and skied it down to merge of back of peak 2 and absolutely had to repeat.  It was fresh and swishy, light, with a good carve-able base beneath, not wind affected.  No one was around, no one was coming up the skin track, the lighting was improving, I had no choice. 
     I knew my legs would pay the price but I had to do it again. They were already tired from yesterday but between the snow, weather, sky, good views, solitude, and the fact that I would have to work the next two days drove me to repeat and it was so worth it.  As I was skiing out I came across 3 others coming up.  Good timing, there was plenty of goodness left for them and the sun was popping out, lighting up the face.  Lucky bums, I hope they enjoy it.  Nothing beats skiing in the sun.

Above:  All those tracks are mine, except far faint right ones.
On a different note, I read a provocative article that I found myself resonating with after some introspection. Interesting. 
http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/The-Paradox-of-Going-Outside.html?page=9

No comments:

Post a Comment