Monday, February 4, 2013

O'malleys' Back Alley

     So I had a number of ideas of what to ski today, mostly local stuff because driving to turnagain gets old and the raincrust going on there is less than enticing.  I checked the weather info and stations to eliminate options and reduce my challenges with indecision.  We headed out to glen alps to ski the gulley that leads to the ballfield.  Weather looked less than promising.  Flat light, high 20s/low30s, steady wind increasing in speed with elevation, snowing on and off, and of course the unchanged bare snow conditions in the front range. 
     After reaching the saddle we went up the ridge a little bit and skied a short stint down into the ballfield and continued down the mellow run which, for a lack of knowing its' proper name if it has one, we called O'malleys' Back Alley.  The short stint offered some steeper terrain that wasn't too slabby, windloaded or bare.  The Alley was a smooth and mellow backcountry "groomer".  The gulley walls offered perpective and contrast and the depth sheltered us from the wind and blowing snow.  It was chubby enough to arc some turns.  Overall, better than expected.   We lapped this combo thrice and called it a day.  The gulley from the ballfield was surprisingly soft.


     Free-streaming thoughts of the day:  I can feel my legs improving in both strength and endurance, which equals more backcountry skiing.  Bonus.  I need to bring more food and water with me so I can take advantage of this improvement and ski more.  I really appreciate, and would recommend to any backcountry traveller, always having eye protection from wind/snow/sun/debris.  Life-saver today.  Due to my high rate of losing/breaking glasses I picked up some $4 safety glasses as seen above: cheaper, stronger and I feel less guilty when they're gone.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting, makes my time on the slope go by faster.

    ReplyDelete