Friday, February 1, 2013

North Bowl investigation

     So I was going for a mellow/easy day, something local and short, not too taxing.  This would prove to be tough given the paucity of snow in the front range.  I only heard one report this whole season, just a few days ago, from a co-worker whose husband had skied north bowl and said it was decent.  There was some wind between today and then but I thought the bowl would be sheltered enough to hold snow and be minimally wind affected. 
     All my ski people are working and meetup group people are flaky at best so I went with the dogs.  Worst case scenario I would get out and tour around a bit, get some good views, fresh air, exercise the dogs and get one gully-worth of skiing, get in shape for when I need it later.  No dogs peed on my backpack today, which has been becoming a trend.  One did pee on its own leg though.
     Conditions looked bare but the gully up to the pass was snow-filled enough to make a decent skin up and descent down.  Light was flat, no surprise there.  I was by myself and sketched-out after yesterdays' slide so It took me 3 attempts at different routes up to the ridge before I found one I was comfortable with.  The north aspects were the ones holding wind-loaded snow, the same aspect to skin up. 
     After gaining the ridge I noticed a large cornice had pooped out a massive debris field down the main bowl.  That's disappointing.  I went to the top anyway as the sun had come out, skies were clear and the views were just what I needed.  The south(?) shoulder of the bowl looked least wind-loaded, most consistent snow, good slope angle, and would allow a nice long run to the bottom.  Done.  Well worth it.  I skinned out the pass and skied the gully down to the car.  Shwas good. 
     I've been using this ski tracking app as another way to recount my outing of the day.  I tell myself I won't be one of those people who counts vertical and miles and laps, but I will allow myself that information for day-of use only and for future references/planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment