Monday, February 11, 2013

KGK.....get after it.

     So a meeting this morning didn't allow me to meet up for an AM ski.  We got a fresh 6" at our house here and the lack of updated grooming news for the XC ski trails left me no choice but to go backcountry.  I chose my go-to run for long, solo and good weather days as the sun popped out just as I was contemplating the days activities. 
     The KGK (Kanchee-Gully-Knoya) is a long gully accessed by the stuckagain heights TH on the military land that runs west down between Kanchee and the false peak of Knoya.  It holds snow well, is sheltered and is low-angle which makes it a safe bet.  It also affords amazing views of Anchorage, the inlet, and the Alaska range as well as major mountains such as Denali and Iliamna.  2200 feet of vertical according to my iphone app(including the top bowl).
     Lucy and I got a late start, leaving the TH around noon.  I was pleased to notice about 8-10" of the fresh-and-fluffy which means even better skiing than anticipated.   I also noticed early on that I was breaking trail in this fresh 8-10.  I chose the cut-off going up-valley toward takishla then popped over to the drainage of the KGK to minimize up-and-down and reduce distance.  After 2 hours I was at the base, another 1 and was at the top of the bowl above the KGK. 
     It paid off: excellent views, some of that super light weight borderline blower pow, and the stoke of 3 hours of breaking trail pent up.  The bowl was perfect, shin-knee deep awesomeness not yet seen this season in the front range.  After warming up with that I rode the long KGK all the way and it was amazing.  Shin-deep bouncy stuff, a little hard/icy underneath near the top but that quickly went away.  I was so pumped after that I knew it would kill me but I had to do it again. 
     So I did.  A set skin track made it easier and the views were even better with the sun setting.  I only wish my legs had more in them.  I had to stop several times but it gave me the chance to soak it all in.  After that I slogged my tired legs to the trail, but not without some alder-bashing of course, and spaced out at the city lights to pass the time back to the car.  Bam what a good day.


 
 Above is the upper bowl, a nice shot off that point.
View from the top of KGK. Anchorage below.




Video links:
KGK gully itself  https://vimeo.com/59829490
KGK upper bowl clip https://vimeo.com/59828161

2 comments:

  1. A slog to get to but well worth it! If stability is good keep going & ski the S face of Knoya. A great run... but the "trail" back to the Dome trail can be a pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cool, i was curious if anyone had done anything else back there besides tikishla and W kanchee face. ill give it a go when the opportunity arises.

      Delete