Thursday, March 28, 2013

no-ski day entry

     So no skiing due to illness, I really need to rest up a bit.  Then I have to put in my time at work.  I feel that spring may still offer some great opportunities and I am hoping that they align with my time off and that others can participate.  As I was watching the spin-drift coming off the tops of the local peaks here I wondered what would be do-able the next time I could get out. 
     I have this hankering for that line that is original, not necessarily huge or epic, but just different, not thought of, rarely attempted.  I like the solitude that belongs to those ski outings.  Peak 3 is like the backcountry resort.  It is convenient and usually good skiing and snow, but I walk away from it without feeling like I really got out there.  I had a lot of down time today and was looking through some panoramic pics and videos in my collection that inspired some ideas.  Overall I just need to get out there.  I will need a stove to do this (wish me luck).
     The weather folks here are so horrible at predicting: the past two days they called for mostly cloudy/warm/chance of snow and it turned out to be cool and blue-bird both days.  This happens regularly.  I know just to guess based on trends I see and to just go.  I don't know how they can maintain employment.  I certainly wouldn't pay them.  They should forecast generally so they are right more.
     I have given up on some of my Front Range goals due to lack of snow this year.  I have done more damage to my skis this season than last.  I get worried about how long they'll last when I look at the bottoms and the wear they have sustained overall. 
     I skied with a buddy recently who does a lot of tennis-shoe hike-ins to ski late spring stuff.  I like that idea and might try to join him on a few or try my own.  It will be hard by then to put the skis on the pack when I can just run with super-light pack and cover so much so easily.  Two random videos for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment