Saturday, April 27, 2013

4 dogs, 4 dudes

     A beautiful clear weekend day without work = ski for me.  Our Denali gang got together in the AM for more planning talk, gear testing/discussions and then we headed out for a backcountry tour with the dogs.  Weather was perfect, with the exception of some ridge-top winds picking up near the end of the day. 
     We headed out to the Harp mountain trailhead in the South fork of the Eagle River Valley.  The original goal was to check out the couloirs in hanging valley but the always present indecision of the group dynamic lead to a sampling of various snow conditions.  We started up Harp to about the 3rd saddle and skied some surpisingly good spring corn conditions to the near valley floor, traversing up valley a ways before converting back to skins.
     We skinned back to the hanging valleys and soaked up the amazing views, solitude, great weather and possibilities for both summer and winter backcountry activities.  We then headed north up a gully and gained the ridge-line heading back to Harp summit, but stopped along the way for a powder run down to the valley floor on the Eagle River side. 
     A long, windy traverse with eye-popping views for motivation kept us going to the Harp summit.  From there we encountered variable and wind-blown snow conditions up high which turned into ski-able late-warm-day conditions further down.  It's always nice to ski to the car. 
     It's also nice, now that I am near the end of my ski season, to be fit enough to do longer tours with more vertical without being tired or noticing that it was work.  It makes it much easier to enjoy the views and allows for greater access to things farther out that might not be attainable in the early season.  The snow coverage allows for easier travel and the downhill skiing is a fun alternative to hiking/running down a slope.  Places normally thick with alders and brush in the summer are accessible in the winter. 
     The winds today were cold enough to make me realized I could probably still get frostbite in the end of April, cool but at the same time a slap with reality to get my head in the game.  It also reminds me how rugged the mountain environment is and how out of my control it is.  It adds a challenge and way of looking at them that is much different from the city.  I do appreciate this and look forward to this aspect in light of our Denali attempt.  The energy I get from being in the mountains can't be conveyed by words or pictures.  Every time I try to explain it to someone I feel something like when I am trying to explain something to someone who doesn't speak my language.  It's just inadequate and they only way they'll get it is by getting out there a lot, and I hope they do.  A shared appreciation for the Chugach would be great, but you don't know unless you go.

 
 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment