Monday, April 29, 2013

Magnificent!

     So today Sir Shredsalot and I headed out to Eagle River for some backcountry action.  Given the recent weather patterns and our destination, finding the good stuff today was tough.  The snow is an awkward transition right now between the end of winter and the good spring corn.  Temps are too cool during the day to soften things up for more than a brief window in the afternoon.  Down low it might be good but uphigh still crusty, or, up high good corn but down low rotten.
     After the up-and-coming pre-ski tradition of fast food we booted the muddy trail from parking all the way to the clearing below the saddle.  From there we skinned crusty and sometimes breakable snow to the ridgeline and skied a variable snow run down to the valley floor.  The sun had popped out and burned off all the clouds, there was a mild breeze at times.  I'm ok with the lack of accuracy in weather predicting today.  Give me the sun and I'll call it good.  Snow was mostly crusty, even on northern aspects, likely due to the winds and warm ambient temperatures.  No corn today though.
     We headed up to magnificent and skied a few runs in the bowl in a pocket of decent snow before skiing the ridgeline down to the valley floor.  We skinned back up high enough to traverse to the saddle and muddy booted it out.  It was a beautiful day and was good to get out even if the snow wasn't ideal.  The view allowed for me to add a few more runs to my list, possibly even this week if the weather is fair enough on my days off, but mostly for next season when the powder returns.
     The meadow creek drainage is unique in that there is no ready public access at its' runout.  The saddle is the best access and from there it's up to you.  The ridge leading up to the peak has gently sloping green-circle-like terrain running down to the creek that would be prime for learning.  I also enjoy it on an unstable/lazy powder day.  I have always seen wildlife when I am in that drainage.  Today it was an eagle and we happened to see a sheep near the summit. 
     In addition to wildlife, the views up Eagle River are studded with the big peaks of the Chugach which are always inspiring.  I found myself thinking, "how could I ever leave this place?" and I really don't know.  It would be challenging and would be a difficult decision to make if I wanted to go back to school somewhere. 


Two line ideas in this pic, minimum.

2 comments:

  1. Howdy! I too have Mt Magnificent on my ski list. I hiked/scrambled up to the top last Apr when we had about this much snow on the ground. I regretted not bringing my skis or snowshoes, but I was solo as well. Unfortunately, after making the poor decision to walk down the north face, I was left w/ a couple of miles of thigh to waist deep post-holing to get back to the saddle. I skied Mile High Saddle and probably one of the bowls you mention a lot this winter, as I live just right off Stewart on the drive up to the parking area, so it's a good, quick after work workout. Anyway, if you'd like another ski partner and/or have some other objectives in mind and want to discuss, shoot me an email. lopan78 A T yahoo D O T com

    Cheers,
    -JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meadow Creek is a cool place. Glad to you're skiing it!

    Jack

    ReplyDelete