Monday, April 15, 2013

ahhh, now that's what I'm talking about.

     So an early April dumping on the front range that didn't get blown off, followed by a long stretch of clear and calm skies lead to some amazing skiing.  Too much to write on every outing.  I had a pretty amazing ski planned as I mentioned in my last post: it fell through, but remains high on the objective list for next winter.  I have been skiing closer stuff with buddies this past week, nothing too unique or out of the ordinary, but this last dump has allowed for me to check off a few more items on my skiing to-do list.
     Saturday we headed out to do the NNW facing lines off Rusty that have been on my list for awhile due to the frequency with which they are skiied by AlaskaJack.  Weather and company: perfect.  Snow: good enough for me.  We headed out of Prospect Hts on a well-packed trail.  We couldn't see it until we got right below the line but some go-getter turkey had skied it the day before.  No worries, it was only one line and they afforded us a skin track.  2nd time this happened to me in the Wolverine Bowl.  It was a mellow day with great views and pretty good skiing once we figured out where the good snow was at. 
     I managed to fit in a short evening ski up peak 2 after a brief weekend in Seward. Surprisingly untracked and holding good snow on some aspects and especially lower down.  Again: perfect weather and company and no disappointment with snow.
     I can't figure out what aspects will consistently have powder.  That last wind was out of the North, adding a wind-buffed layer what should be the soft and fluffy stuff.  The south aspects are in an awkward punchy-crust-melty-who-knows-what depending on the time of day and elevation.  This complicates things for an indecisive person like me.  I'm less motivated to get out there.  When I say get out there I mean do something out of the ordinary, more obscure or less obvious. 
     I hope this weather stretch lasts through this week so I can pull off 2 more skis on thursday and friday.  I had resigned to the the ski season winding down prior to this dump and was adjusting my mindset to the summer activity goals, but, this extension has given me an urgency to get a few more things in.  We'll see.

I ski with a helmet when I go out with this guy.  It's for my own safety.  He's the original rock-finder.

No comments:

Post a Comment