Tuesday, April 2, 2013

whatsup harp? it's been awhile.

     So with another sunny/clear/warm day in the forecast I was contemplating today's outing.  I wanted to do something new.  I was flying solo today, had limited time due to AM and PM appointments with the real world, and was a little tired from yesterday.  I didn't want to drive too far either.  I'll save my ideas for later, but I ended up going with Harp mountain.  It's close and if it doesn't look good I could always head to the S. Fork trailhead.  Skier Boyz just wrote a good description of the typical Harp presentation.
     Things looked good but I was doubtful about snow quality.  I found it to be in that awkward stage between spring snow and winter snow.  The skin up went well with amazing views along the approaching ridge, a major selling point for Harp.  The snow ran out/got too hard to skin so I boot-hiked the last 1/4+ to the summit.  Great views and weather were well worth the climb.  This was also my first 5000ft peak on skis in the Chugach, surprisingly enough. 
     I enjoyed the drink and eat, then hiked down a bit to the snowfield lookers' left of the summit.  The summit lines were too rocky/bare to attempt.  I geared up and skied down.  Conditions were variable: 1-2 inches of soft on a hard slab up high, punchy in the middle with a rare pocket of softness, then punchy but skiable the rest to the spring-like conditions in the bottom.  Lucy was being challenging today, frequently getting in my way(maybe she couldn't see and needed 'doggles'.  I hit another rock and took a large surface area out, but no core shot thankfully.
     The line was good though and I would do it again.  I would like to get a summit line next winter as well as explore some of the other bowls from there.  It's an easy ski-out to the car. 

Harp is just right of my start point. elevation 5001.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment