Thursday, April 11, 2013

Gordon Lyon

     So today I was recovering from yesterday's outing and decided do more of an afternoon ski.  I hooked up with another local who it has been awhile since I skied with.  We met at Arctic Valley and skinned up to Gordon Lyon with the objective of skiing the drainage to the northwest of there.  Weather was perfect: bluebird skies, cool temps, calm weather although the wind picked up toward the end of our outing.  By some miracle the snow from last weekends' storms was still there and plenty soft it was.
     I had skied one run on the back of Gordon Lyon before, but never anywhere else in that drainage.  We did another run back in there which, once at the bottom, allowed me to look up at all the possibilities.  I could have spent all day there and then some.  There were plenty of lines yet to be skied.  Note to self.
     I don't know what to say. Conditions were fabulous all around.  Others must have thought the same as we noticed more and more people as the day progressed. As we were skiing out we saw close to 10 different folks in the valley.  I sure hope there is snow left for me when I am done working.  I will likely head back there if my Saturday objective falls through.  Stay tuned.
     On another note, I stumbled across an avalanche forecast site for the front range and ER.  Where has this been all winter?!?!  It is new apparently.  Anchorage Avalanche Center.


A military chopper buzzed us on the way up.
 
 


1 comment:

  1. One of the best video's yet. Looks like alot of snow. I feel sorry for Lucy though - looks like she was tired and the snow was too deep.

    ReplyDelete